• 1

Máster en Estudios Ingleses Avanzados TOP 1 según el Ranking de El MUNDO  “Mejores Másteres 2023/24” 

250 Másteres y Guía MBA


Master in Advanced English Studies TOP 1 according to the ranking of El Mundo “Best Masters’ 2018"

Ranking of El Mundo “Best Masters’ 2018"

Master in Advanced English Studies TOP 1 according to the Ranking of Expansión “250 Masters and MBA Guide"

Ranking of Expansión “250 Masters and MBA Guide"

Frequently Asked Questions

What type of Master’s is it?

The Master in Advanced English Studies: Languages and Cultures in Contact, run by the University of Salamanca and the University of Valladolid, is an accredited program designed according to the academic criteria of the European System of Higher Education. The Master’s program consists of 60 credits and takes one academic year to complete. Classes are held at the University of Salamanca during Fall semester, and at the University of Valladolid in the Spring semester. The Master’s program enables students to pursue a PhD by providing the required coursework previous to writing a PhD dissertation. It constitutes the pre-requisite coursework for the PhD program that has been distinguished by the Spanish Ministry of Education for its Quality of Excellence. The Master’s program aims to meet the challenges of a modern global society and rests on the conviction that advanced knowledge of the English language, as well as the Anglo-American culture and literature, is a vital element in the modern world in which different cultures are more and more politically, economically, and technologically interconnected.

The goals of the Master’s program are to enable students to acquire the necessary competencies and skills characteristic of an advanced, specialized, and interdisciplinary education. It is oriented towards the formation of specialists in the areas of English language and linguistics, and Anglo-American literature and cultural studies. The program allows access to the PhD program as well as prepares students for the demanding standards of the international job market.

Do I have to apply to and register at both universities?

No, it is necessary to apply for and register at one of the two universities only.

Where and when do I apply?

At the University of Salamanca:

Go to the following link

At the University of Valladolid

This is an online application procedure where all documents are available, and can be uploaded online. It is not necessary to submit applications and documentation via post or in person

Where and when do I register?

At the University of Salamanca:

Go to the following link

At the University of Valladolid:

The first application period for the 2013-2014 academic year is open from May 6 to June 20. The second application period is open from June 29 to August 2 and again from August 19 to August 26
Registration Office:
Secretaría de la Facultad de Filosofía y Letras
Plaza del Campus
47011 Valladolid

How much is tuition?

Tuition prices for the 2012-2013 academic year are listed below. Updated tuition prices will be posted in June.
Total price of Master’s (60 credits): 2436 €
First Fee: 40,60 € per ECTS
Second re-take: 74,42 € per ECTS
Third and following retakes: 74,42 € per ECTS

Payment Plans: The University accepts payment by installments.

What professional opportunities does this Master’s enable?

This Master’s enables multiple options for professionals in the field of education (university and high school), translation, cultural management, tourism, publishing, film, counseling and linguistic and cultural mediation, management, literary criticism, and journalism.

The Master’s program offers a wide range of career opportunities to:

  • Specialists and researchers, future academics in English language and linguistics
  • Educators specializing in culture, literature and English language
  • Specialists in English Language and English and American culture
  • Specialists in the design and development of teaching materials
  • Language advisors
  • Translation Specialists
  • Advisors at the Center for Intercultural Education Resources (CREI)
  • Advisors in intercultural education and educational projects
  • Advisers in international cultural projects with the United States, Britain and other English-speaking countries
  • Intercultural mediators in cultural contexts (bilateral U.S./Spain, UK/Spain)
  • Advisors for editorial publications and cultural promotion within Castile and Leon
  • Editorial advisers in cultural magazines
  • Intercultural Advisors for national and international official or private organizations (NGOs),
  • Literary critics and film critics

How long is the program?

The Master’s program consists of 60 credits and takes one academic year to complete. Classes are held at the University of Salamanca during Fall semester, and at the University of Valladolid in the Spring semester. The Master’s Thesis defense will take place either at the end of June or at the beginning of September.

Where are classes held?

At the University of Salamanca classes are held in Anayita, room 17. View Master In Salamanca in a larger map

At the University of Valladolid classes are held in Seminario 2, Departamento de Filología Inglesa, Facultad de Filosofía y Letras. View Master in Valladolid in a larger map

Where can I find the Schedule of Classes?

The Schedule of classes is published in June and is updated throughout the year.

Are classes in the morning or afternoon?

In general, classes are held in the morning Monday through Friday.

Is it inconvenient to be registered in one master’s but take classes in two different Universities?

No, quite the opposite. This Master’s provides a great opportunity to get to know different study and university environments within the same program. It is not necessary for students to change residences, as it is relatively easy to get from one campus to another with public transportation. The Universities are close enough to each other to be able to commute back and forth within the same day.

Train Schedule: Renfe
Bus Schedule: Estación de Autobuses.

Is attendance mandatory?

Yes, this is an on-site master’s program so attendance is mandatory. Students must have all absences excused. In extreme cases, students may opt for an option to take partial classes remotely. The students who are not able to regularly attend classes must submit a series of additional assignments and complete at least two interviews with the professor, one of which will be after submitting all work.

Are there entrance exams or language tests?

There are no entrance exams for the Master’s. Students are accepted based on previous education, experience and other professional and academic merits.

Students do, however, need to demonstrate language proficiency. Undergraduates of English Studies or Translation (with English as primary language) are not required to take a language test if the average grade of completed English courses is at least “Notable”. No testing is necessary if the applicant is able to provide documentation of their language level (i.e. Escuela Oficial de Idiomas, TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate, Proficiency, TOIC, etc.).

Students who cannot provide language level certification must complete an interview and will be asked to write an admission essay in English.

Do non-native Spanish speakers need to prove Spanish language proficiency?

No, it is not necessary to prove Spanish language proficiency, but students should have some knowledge of the Spanish language in order to navigate administrative tasks and procedures.

What do students need to do who have international degrees granted by a University pertaining to the European System of Higher Education?

Students who hold an international degree from a University pertaining to the European System of Higher Education (EEES), need to present all of the admittance documents, plus a certificate from their university (legally translated into Spanish) specifying that their degree enables them to pursue a master’s degree.

Countries within the EEES:

What do students need to do if they have an international degree that NOT granted by the European System of Higher Education?

Students who hold an international degree from a University that does NOT belong to the European System of Higher Education, need to apply for the Official Recognition of their Degree at the University of Salamanca (Equivalencia). Students need to complete both the admittance applications as well as the Degree Recognition forms (Equivalencia) in order to be admitted to the Master’s.  Unless the student has not completed the Degree Recognition process or if they do not already have the official recognition of their degree from the Spanish Ministry of Education, they will not be able to complete registration.

What is an “Equivalencia” and how do I apply for it?

At the University of Salamanca:

Go to the following link

Degree Recognition for the University of Valladolid:

  1. Degree Recognition Application Form
  2. Legalized copy of Passport or European ID
  3. Legalized copy of university degree
  4. Legalized Copy of academic transcripts that indicate student grade point average, name of courses, duration, and number of credits.
  5. Certificate from the degree granting university (legally translated into Spanish) specifying that the degree enables the student to pursue a master’s degree in the country of origin.
  6. Curriculum Vitae
  7. Specific documentation required by the Master’s program the student is applying to
  8. Once all documentation has been submitted and reviewed, the Post-graduate Committee may ask for additional documentation deemed appropriate.

Sección de Posgrado
Casa del Estudiante
Universidad de Valladolid
Tel.: 983 18 43 42
Fax: 983 42 39 08

Can I enroll part-time?

Are there scholarships associated with the Master’s?

Are there scholarships associated with the Master’s?

All scholarship information is listed in scholarships

How can I find housing and accommodation?

For housing and accommodation information, please see the Student Services page (Servicios de Orientación al Estudiante de la Universidad de Salamanca), which can be viewed in Spanish, English, German, Portuguese and French.
Also the Area of Social Affairs at the University of Valladolid offers a webpage with housing and apartment listings: http://ipa.uva.es

Important tips:
Many landlords require a deposit equivalent to one month's rent in case of unforseen damages. Students must ask whether the cost of the building maintance is included in the rent, and if they include heating costs. It is good to know if the heat is detached, gas, diesel or electric and whether it is included in the cost of rent or shared utility costs. In winter the tempatures drop very low in Salamanca and Valladolid, so heating costs may rise to about 100-200 euros a month extra.

Medical Insurance
Most people have to provide proof of medical insurance before they come in order to get their Visas. Once they get here, they can go for cheaper options, however. Mapfre offers full coverage with no co-pays for 40 euro a month (this is super cheap compared to U.S. prices). Going to the doctor without medical coverage costs about 50-70 euros per visit depending on the doctor/specialist.

What is a Final Master’s Thesis?

All students will present a Final Master’s Thesis at the end of the program. In order to present, students must have passed all courses previous to the presentation. Each student must choose a thesis advisor from the department to direct and mentor the process.
A Final Master Thesis consists of writing and publicly defending an original investigation. Presentations are either at the end of June, or at the beginning of September.

IF I already hold a master’s degree, or have professional experience can I get recognition of credits?

Yes. Have a look at Recognition and Transfer of Credits for Professional Experience, Previous Master’s and Other Degrees

Facebook Poster


Promote this program

Universidad de Salamanca VIII Centenario Universidad de Salamanca
Universidad de Valladolid